Monday, October 15, 2007

In The Studio...Day 5 and 6...And Some Other Stuff

More accomplished over this past weekend...plus, a lot of other stuff was going on as well, so if you're reading this, sit back, crack open a cold one, and enjoy!!

On Saturday, we started recording Adam's rhythm tracks...All went pretty smooth. He got a pretty killer tone to boot and so far, everything sounds great...I believe on Saturday he got through 7 songs...Not bad, not bad...










After we wrapped up on Saturday, Adam and I headed to Cafe Lura to check out a show...Malas, Ares Kingdom, and Midnight were playing. Everyone that knows me know that Malas and Severed share the same drummer...so it is obvious that I try to see every show they play. Danny was unable to make it, but they had him on CD...sounded really decent. I always think that drummers provide a lot of stage energy. A big majority of the drum machine bands bore me do death...But in the case of Malas, Erik and Alex really kept things moving along...Lots of headbanging going on, so the crowd was into it...Ares Kingdom was up next and they did not disappoint. I have always been a fan of Order From Chaos (if you don't know who they are, look them up) so it was great seeing these guys finally. I know they have played in Chicago a few times, but I always missed them because of me living so far away at the time...So, they kicked ass!! Finally, Midnight was up. Great band...kind of a mix of thrash and black metal with a Mentors attitude. Lots of fun and surprising as well, as I did not know what to expect. Sorry I am not too descriptive, but I was pretty hammered that night (what else is new?) so there is no way I can remember songs they did...But anyway, it was a great show, the turnout was very good, and the venue was cool. Thanks to everyone who bought my poor ass beers that night (The Triplets especially!!)

So on to Sunday...Adam finished his rhythm tracks of the remaining 6 songs. Jim was a tad hungover so we had fun ripping into him. We are all pleased at our progress so far...

After the studio, I decided to head up to The Pearl Room...Overkill was playing and Mark from Impetigo and Dave from Lividity were heading up there so I figured, what the hell...I got there and the second band was just starting...their name escapes me, but it probably don't matter anyway. I think they had a hot chick singing...I did not pay attention as I was talking to a lot of my friends that were there...I finally caught up with Mark, Dave and Mark's buddy Paul and was with them the remainder of the night...Just shooting the shit and all that. Always great hanging with them...The third band of the night was up...they were called After Forever...here is my take on them...Hot Chick in leather singing...one guitarist played in a death metal band at one point...other guitarist played in a poser band at one point. No opinion on the drummer or bassist. Gothy looking keyboard player. Operatic type vocals mixed in with other stuff. They were good as far as talent and had some heavy parts, but not my cup of tea...I did want to do nasty things to the hottie singing though...heh heh

Overkill was up next. I was never a big fan of theirs. Musically, I dug them, but I just could never stand the singing...just grated on my nerves...I had their early albums at one point and they would get played from time to time...I admire them for their tenacity...I mean, shit, they have been around, doing the same thing more or less since 1981 or so...Very hard working band that never gave up. Well, yesterday, they blew my ass away...color me impressed. Being a musician myself (duh) you can tell which bands have their shit together and which ones don't...Overkill obviously did...they were flawless...Plus, they played quite a few old tunes, which I appreciated. Blitz is such a great frontman. Even though I am not into his vocals, he just commanded the crowd...plus he is frantic on stage...so much energy...I mean, not to sound mean, but he is no spring chicken...But props where props are due...he'd kick my ass for sure!! Great time last night and I'm glad I went...

Finished up the night at The Exit...hung out and talked to some pals and called it an early night as I had some important shit to do today...

So, I will be recording my rhythm tracks starting this Saturday. I can't wait to get them over with. I am not a studio person...I find the whole process to be too tedious...plus I am not a precision player so it usually takes me a bit to get used to the environment. Just watching and listening to Adam by himself this weekend is making me feel pretty positive. There is some different things that we do which does not come across live or in practice...just our playing styles, nothing major...I think they will blend together nicely...So, look for another update over the weekend...

Oh yes, just got word that our pins are almost ready...hopefully we'll have them next week!!

No comments: