Saturday, September 8, 2007

Adventures In Cardiac Land

And so it continues...We played a show last night in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin...for those that know me, you know that I absolutely hate playing shows. Well, I mean, I love playing, seeing the other bands, and drinking and bullshitting with people. However, I loathe loading up, driving to the show, unloading, sitting around, loading back up, then driving home...If there was a way that I could warp everywhere, I'd be a happier person. But since that won't happen anytime soon, just expect me to be kind of distant before a show...I get more comfortable and relaxed once I get to my destination...

Which brings me to last night...Fond Du Lac is about three hours from my house...we were all driving up separately due to work schedules and such. My plan was to leave here around 1:30, which would put me up there around 4:30. They wanted bands to be there at 5pm, so no prob. Some traffic jams here and there getting out of Chicago, but overall, pretty smooth sailing. Got to the venue pretty much at 4:30 as planned. So far so good. Went back into town to find somewhere to buy beer (For those that don't know, I always travel with a cooler...I am too broke and unemployed to be paying bar prices for beer)and ice and cigarettes...Got that stuff and headed back to the venue...by then, Adam showed up. So we went in and scoped things out. Not a bad place. It was called Marghael's and it was on the edge of town, pretty much all by itself. Of course, I got a beer as soon as I walked in. Nice and cheap at $1.25 (those prices I can afford!!) Talked to the bartender for awhile and Lethal Weapon 2 was on the TV behind the bar. Not bad, not bad. The Face of Ruin guys showed up shortly after...we all introduced ourselves and Ed (who booked the show) filled us in on what was going on...like 4 or 5 bands canceled, the soundguy screwed up his schedule and was unable to show...But alas, Ed got another guy and a couple of other bands to fill in last minute. Very cool. The Face of Ruin guys were really cool and laid back. The night would be fun for sure...

Adam and I set up the merch table and I was very relaxed. Even attempted to play Mario Bros. a few times, but since I suck at video games, and I was beyond sucking at Mario Bros, I quit while I was ahead...Drank a bunch more beer, talked to some of the other bands and the others that were walking in and was just waiting on the other guys to show...

Then, the call came. Adam had a voicemail. It was Jim informing us that his alternator in his truck shit the bed. He was at a gas station in Highland Park, IL.
Fuck!!!! He was trying to work out a rental, but most places were closed already. We exchanged voicemails for a bit (service was not so good out there)and were trying to figure out what to do. Finally, I made the decision that I would go get him. Got ahold of him and said I would be coming. Told Ed of the situation. I think he was afraid we would cancel, which we try never to do. I was more worried that I would not make it back in time to play. It was about 7:30. Ed assured me we would play and not to worry. So I left. And I drove. Fast. Real fast. Like 90-95 MPH fast. I made it down to where Jim was at in about 2 hours. Put his stuff in the truck, called Adam to let him know we were on are way...the goal...be there before midnight. Had to stop for gas along the way, but we finally made it back. At 11:50pm. Damn, I'm good!!

Rictus Grin just got done playing which sucked, because I really wanted to see them again. Cool band and great guys. We appreciate you guys working with us and swapping times. Much appreciated!! Adam and Amsterdamn were getting nervous though as people were starting to leave. We hurried to get unloaded (which I did in record time...you should have seen me running at full sprint carrying a Marshall 1960B cabinet) Got all set up, very quick level check, and off we went. Very cool. Lots of people ended up sticking around. Some decent pit action as well...We got to play our full set as well...which was...

1) The Inevitable
2) Cadaverous Presence
3) Beyond Trauma
4) Beast Among Many
5) E-Viper-Ate
6) As The Dead Pillage
7) Into The Woodchipper
8) Make Them Die Slowly
9) Carnage Your Fate

By the time we were done, I was wiped. And my buzz was non existent. I was more or less on autopilot the whole time. But, everyone wanted more (which was a first I think) So, we busted out The Haunted Remnants. After that, I was done. Relaxed for a bit. Sold some merch (always a good sign when you sell stuff after you play) and began loading. Kicked back for awhile, drank lots of water, and it was time to call it a night. Thanked all the staff at Marghael's and headed out around 2:30am. Took our time this time. Cruise set at 65MPH and just rolled. Got back to Jim's truck around 5am so he could get a few more things and then went to look for a hotel for him. After driving around for a bit (which at that point, I did NOT want to do) and seeing a lot of No Vacancies (Honestly, I'm glad, because they looked like fucking dives anyway)we finally found a place. Dropped him off and headed home. I believe I walked in around 6am. I set my trip odometer when I left...when I got home, it read 642 miles...

So, anyone who thinks being in a band is all fun and games, think again. It is a lot of hard work. And, in situations like we had yesterday, I honestly think most bands would have said "Fuck It!!" Not us. That would be too easy...

We play again tonight, locally. Should be a smooth one. Playing with our friends Mordrid and Moral Decay. Hopefully it will turn out decently. Probably our last show for a long time locally.

I'm sure I'll do another entry tomorrow...I'm sure it will be happier in tone as well...Till then...

1 comment:

Silvester said...

Been there done that and yeah those things are always fucking SHIT haha i remember once our drummer forgot to take his cymbals so we had to drive all the way back to his goddamn house get em get back in time and play. Stress before a show sucks arse. Or traveling for 5 hours to play and then arrive and its cancelled! and not get paid buzzkill!