Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Studio Day 3 and 4

I'm running behind again...so sue me...It is a busy time of year which I hate...

Anyway, on Saturday, I started recording my guitar tracks for the new album. I was actually up early that day, yet I was still late. But, at least it didn't snow that day...and our, um, helper was in tow to assist with mic placement and general consulting...

We spent about an hour fucking with mic placement. I was told he would have spent more time with it, but everyone else was happy with what was coming through the headphones, so we just went for it...

As I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the studio...while we record live in a sense, we still have to piece things together...I'm not a fan of posers that go into the studio and record a riff and just cycle it throughout thanks to digital technology...I do my best to play the whole song all the way through...if I like it and the band likes it, it remains...there may be stuff to punch here and there, but overall, I am playing to the drums that were recorded in a live setting...hell, I even stand up...I move around...and I headbang...well, not too much because of the stupid headphones...and I get drunk as well...what else is new??

And for the record, I play simple...no gay effects or anything like that...A Gibson Explorer straight in to a Marshall JCM900 with an EQ (MXR) in the Effects Loop...oh, and a Volume Pedal...That is it...So stick your Pods or whatever cheater stuff people are using up your ass!!

I recorded for about 3 hours on Saturday and got 6 songs done. I felt pretty good about everything. It sounded like me, which on albums past, I never really felt that way...So that is another plus...

Fast forward to Tuesday morning...Back in the studio...And guess what?? It fucking snowed here again!!! But at least it was overnight, so the roads were fine...I just had to do the snow for my place and some of the neighbors...

I got there around 10am...Ate a Crossandwich (first time I was up that early in awhile to eat a lovely fast food breakfast) and slugged down a couple of beers while listening to what I did on Saturday...since everyone was happy with my shitty playing, it was time to knock the rest out...

I felt a bit better and comfortable today...Maybe it was the morning drinking...I dunno...I knocked out the last 5 tunes relatively quickly, although I am my own worst critic and start getting nitpicky...But so be it...

At any rate, my tracks are done...I spent a total of about 6 hours when all was said and done...Same with Jim...So 12 hours total so far...Too bad it spans over 4 sessions...

Adam will be up next...he will record his main tracks...My guess is he will knock them out in one session because he can play rings around me...After that, it is leads, bass...then vocals...Which reminds me, I still have lyrics to write...ha ha!!

Because of the holidays, we won't be getting back in until the next week...then we have a special show on Jan 2nd...Either way, this is going much quicker than past albums and we are very happy with the results so far...It can only get better!!

Here is the studio damage so far...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay Tom!!!