Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tour Day 7--Kansas City Here We Come...

Think of that old song...Ok, I'm digging deep now...Running out of cheesy headings...

So, I get awoken from my two hour nap by my ringing phone...It was McEntee. For those that don't know, John is in Incantation and the owner of Ibex Moon Records.

He was concerned and wanted to know what was going on. Explained the situation and assured him that Cardiac and Gravehill would be moving forward.

It was around 8:30am and we had to get moving. I went in the house and woke everyone up. Once everyone got up and moving, we split...But not before I sampled the Orange Cake that Ly made for me!! Ha ha!!

So Cardiac takes off. Mike Abominator rode with us, which was cool. I needed an extra driver, and that was the ticket. The van was a lot more comfortable now too...No one sitting on each other.

Ok, we had a 13 hour drive to KC...It was after 9am. We had very little equipment. We had to think quick.

Clawhammer PR to the rescue!

Jim was in touch with Scott and Ryan while we were making our way up. We would be cutting it close again. Based on raw time with no stops, we would arrive at around 10pm. Not good...

They were able to secure gear for us and have the opening bands start later and play a bit longer to stall...

Now, I was on a mission. I was going to us get there, both bands were going to play full sets, and we are going to make the best of the situation.

The drive was not that bad...just long. And we hit quite a few nasty storms (first time of the tour the weather was bad) but plodded along. Gravehill was about 45 minutes behind us. The only stops that were made was for gas and piss breaks...And a 30 pack at the last stop...Figure I would need it for later. Not to mention, I was served my the most rude, unattractive, and unpleasant woman I have ever met...I believe I dropped the C word when I came out of that place...

I drove straight through, minus the stops of course, and we arrived at the club around 10:30. We would have been there sooner, but my robo fuhrer (GPS) was messing with me. Well, it wasn't its fault...The street was weird there and it was a dead end that wasn't supposed to be. Oh well.

Time for Tom Freak Out #2 of the tour. We were playing The Riot Room. It looked like it was in a pretty trendy bar/downtown area. Which means parking can be tricky. We pull up and the van piles out.

"Find out where I can park"

"Ok"

Did that happen...no, not at first. Everyone was getting their schmooze on while I was sitting in the fucking van with the hazards on...Scott and Ryan were out there and everyone was grab assing around while I am waiting. I did the next logical thing...

I rolled down the window, laid on the horn, and proceeded to cuss everyone out...lol

They finally told me where to park.

You have to appreciate the situation here. I just drove 13 hours straight. I did not take a shower in the morning. I had to unload gear when Gravehill showed. All I wanted was to go in the club, sit down in a seat that wasn't in the van, have a couple of beers, and relax a bit.

Gravehill showed and we unloaded what little gear we had. We borrowed the rest from the other bands, which we were grateful for. We set up merch and got ready. I caught a few songs from the last band whose name escapes me. I was in such a daze, I'm surprised I remembered my own name.

So we played then Gravehill played. Both bands killed it again. A lot of the crowd stuck around and were really supportive. After having such a horrible night the night before with all the shit that happened, we felt a lot better about things.

I actually wanted to stay the night and sleep in a bed. It was not to be though. We decided to plow through the night and head in to Chicago. That was probably the best idea...Plus we had to put our new plan in action.

A special thanks needs to be mentioned to both Scott and Ryan of Clawhammer for majorly helping us out when we were in a bind...You guys rule and went above and beyond for us. Cheers!!

2 comments:

Matt Harvey said...

Yeah, that was a triumphant night! Crap drive, but totally worth it...

Cardiac Tom said...

For sure...who would have thought? I need to stop making assumptions about certain cities...