Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tour Day 4--Raising Arizona!

Yeah, I had to give a nod to one of my favorite movies with the title...How very non-metal of me...be glad I'm not spitting out quotes from the movie...

Thanks to Beer wanting to get the hell out of LA the night before, we were now an hour ahead of schedule. He took the first driving shift and all was well. It would only be another short run...about 5 hours now.

Scenery never ceases to amaze me...we went from thick forests, to mountains, to hilly dry areas, and now, deserts in 3 days...I apparently need to leave the Midwest more...

So we get through most of California and stop for gas. I finally took over on driving for the first time of the trip. Since I am always driving, and do the driving for Cardiac, I have no problem with it. I said I would do the bulk (Dennis and Beer did a majority of it already, not to mention they made the drive from San Antonio to Portland before the tour started) of the driving for the trip once San Fran and LA were done, because simply, those places scare me to death in regards to driving. Yes, I am from Chicago, one of the worst places to drive and the high traffic, but at least I am comfortable here.

Another hilarious bit happened while we were waiting in line for gas...Again, damn Jim and his lack of camera-readiness...This family in front of us is gassing up...One of their kids come out of the store and goes to the car. He had to be about 12 or 13...Old enough to not be doing what he was doing...Think of the Family Guy bit where Peter is yelling "BUTTSCRATCHER!!" That's what this kid was doing...He had his hand and arm down the back of his shorts up to his elbow...We were fucking dying laughing...

So I take over and am nervous a bit...The van is huge and since the back is loaded up with luggage and some gear, I can't see out the back window, which I need...I backed out hoping I would not hit the EMO band that just stopped to gas up (ok, secretly, I wish I would have backed into them)and we hit the road...The van is kind of tough to handle at first...With the wind, the van could get blown out of the lane if you are not paying close attention.

We get in to AZ and coolness...75MPH speed limit. Nice. So I go along with the speed limit since I am still getting used to this beast.

Better music was playing now too...

Pretty pleasant drive really...We get off the interstate and follow the direction to Prescott...It was about 70 miles from that point. Taking two lane highways, I for sure got the best portion of the drive. Or did I?

We went through a lot of small towns...small towns that did not look like they were functioning...No where to really stop for a bathroom break or to get smokes...So I keep chugging along and I noticed we are going straight into the mountains...

Shit...

As stated several times, I'm a flat-lander (read Illinois resident) and hence, I have very little experience driving through mountains. The last time I drove in the mountains was back in 07 when Cardiac did a little jaunt out east. However, that was with my own vehicle, and even though I was towing a trailer, I was comfortable because I knew my truck.

So I take a breath and go for it...the road just continued to spiral up these mountains. I just took my time and read the speed limit signs as law. In other words, if the speed limit was 20MPH, I fucking did 20 MPH...And I tried not to look over the sides either because I just would get visions of the van going off the road thus meeting our demise...

Well, that wasn't so bad...shit...more spiraling roads going up...That is how it seemed to go...Once I thought I was out, the upward action would start again. I was getting ribbed by everyone in the van at this point, but I was getting more comfortable with the vehicle and we continued to plod our way up...

We finally make it out and next thing you know, we are in Prescott...It is actually a cool resorty town...we find the bar we are playing with ease...We talk to Gravehill and they are about an hour out...we inform them they are about 2 hours out with the mountain roads, and they were hauling the trailer...

We are playing a bar called The Drunken Lass. There were lots of bars and lots of restaurants in the area. This was a pretty cool place...And dog friendly as there were several hanging out with their owners. We meet the owner of the place, Mark, and he is really nice. Although I was a bit bummed because Monday is trivia night, but it is canceled because of the show. I think they should have left it because more people may come in. I start drinking (of course) and I am nice and relaxed. Everyone pretty much splits off to go eat. Beer, Trans-Am (Hod) and I stick around. Beer is buddying it up with some of the local women. He also finds a poster of the gig in the bathroom. I wish I had a picture of it...but it looked like it was done by a kid in 2nd grade art class...I think there was even figer paints and glitter on it. It is in Beer's possession...Ha ha!!

EDIT--Trans-Am just sent me a picture of said flyer...Ok, so I embellished about the finger paints and glitter, but you get the idea...Without further ado...The most metal flyer ever made!!

Photobucket

TA and I find Jim and we take off to eat finding a Mexican joint that had a cheap special on hamburgers. We have a winner!!

While we were gone, Gravehill showed up and unloaded without us...I felt pretty bad about that because I am always one to hustle when doing that kind of stuff...They in turn, took off to eat now. I'll make it up during load out.

This place was not really set up for a metal show like ours. Small stage which more or less acted as the drum riser. A PA with 2 mics only. We made due with what we had though. Rock star bands would throw a fit and complain. Professionals always find a way to make the best out of a situation.

No local openers. Just locals hanging out. Beer did well in buddying up with everyone because most of these locals stuck around. And since we were playing for the bar, and people were drinking, that is good for us.

I was outside whoring myself out...Trying to get people to come in and have a beer or two. Some Hot Topic looking dude seemed scared but came in...

Hod played first this time. This was the first time I really got to watch them. They smoked!! This was just raw sound as the PA was vocals only. I only hoped we sounded as good.

Hot Topic dude said it was too loud for him and left...Figures...There were some cuties that stuck around, but Beer already staked his claim...

It was cramped and had to make some adjustments, but all went well...It was getting late, so all the locals were starting to split. Rats!!!

Gravehill was next...and again, the first time I was actually able to watch them. And in the rarest of rare, they did not do the blood and armor. It was almost like "Gravehill Unplugged" imagery wise. I don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me...

Folks, this show was what I like to call "practice on the road" It happens to all bands at some point. You know, that show that only 2 people show up to? No one compromised though and we all put 110% into our performances. We all played for each other essentially, and we all had a blast. Although the turnout was non existent, we were all loosened up for the first time and had fun.

At the end of the night, the owner bought merch from each band, ripped up the numerous tabs we were running, and gave money for gas for each vehicle...He said metal shows do well in his bar, but this was the day after July 4th, and a Monday no less. Can't win em all. Still, I chalk that show up as being successful...

I would actually like to play that place again. Sometime when we are out that way.

Load out time and I kept to my word and busted ass...Gravehill was going to get a hotel. For some reason, I had this image in my head that they were bummed that they didn't do the blood and armor so they got to a hotel and put on all their stuff in their room and acted like the creeps they are...The verdict is still out on that though...

We opted to drive through the night. The Hod guys wanted to get back home to Austin and San Antonio and while we had a day off the next day (we were playing Austin on Wed) we had a 17 hour drive ahead of us.

Here is the little mini doc that Jim did showing the tour up until now...Just a lot of goofball stuff...Dig the Night Train sing-a-long near the end...That was in Prescott, so you can see we were having a good time there...



Good times! But will they last??

No comments: