Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tour Day 10--Well We're Living Here In Allentown...

Ha! Remember that Billy Joel song? Don't bullshit me...if you are around my age or older you do...And if you don't you are lying!

After a day off of driving detail, I took the wheel. I was a little bit nervous once we left Ed's just because of the screwy roads in Pittsburgh...But, we made it out of there in one shot as robo fuhrer did us a solid...

Again, it was about a 5 hour drive, so this was going to be pretty easy. We were on the turnpike and decided to stop and get something to eat. He hit the first travel plaza that we came too...

Mistake...This appeared to be the only travel plaza on the turnpike apparently because it was jam packed. The gas lines were like 7 cars deep at each island and I didn't even bother going into the food court area...It was nuts. Abominator got a few souvenirs for his lady and we took off...

I figure we'd find something along the way.

After driving for awhile, most of which were mountain areas and driving through the tunnels, which scare me to death, we started seeing signs of population...I asked if they wanted to stop, but Jim said to just keep pressing on to stop in Breezewood, where there is this big truck stop and travel plaza...

I don't know why I keep listening to Jim...Apparently, everyone on the damn turnpike had the same idea and it took us forever to get off the damn ramp...We get to the truck stop and it is packed too...Ugh...We'll we're here, I guess we'll make the best of it. Besides, Jim needed some stuff anyway and he was able to find everything he needed there...I can't remember if that is where he bought his butt doughnut or not...



Yeah I know it is a neck pillow...But Jim was all proud of that thing and was gloating about it so I told him he mistakenly picked up the butt pillow that hemorrhoid sufferers use. It provided hours of laughter for the remainder of the tour...

We sit down in the only restaurant that ain't packed...We order food and I am starting to sink into one of my depression stages. Why, I don't know...I guess I am getting burnt out, worn out and kind of missing being home...And the fact that it took forever for our fucking food didn't help my mood any...I mean, seriously...There is not many people in the place...How long does it take to cook a chicken sandwich? I think Jim sensed my mood as I was just getting snippy with anyone and anything...Once I got my food, I wolfed it down and left to go get gas while everyone finished eating...Figure I would save some time, since we were there for about an hour and a fucking half...

We settle up and take off after sitting through the longest traffic light I've ever encountered and headed toward Allentown...We still had a couple hours to go and after the near 2 hour truck stop fiasco, my mood was worsening because I did not want to be late again.

We are going along and getting close until I have to deal with an idiot driver. I had to deal with this asshole for about 20 miles and I could not shake him...First off, when getting the highway from a ramp, Yield does not mean slam on your fucking breaks...Also, speed limit is 70, not 40. Seriously, I was losing my shit here...then we enter a construction zone...Then there is an accident up ahead and I can't fucking get away from this dick. I think everyone knew I was about to blow my top so they all just stayed quiet...I finally got away from this dude and never looked back...

We finally make it to Allentown and directions seem fairly easy, but we still have a bit of trouble finding the place. Once we do, I was getting in a better mood. I met with Skip who was the promoter and gave him the rundown...Gravehill was about an hour behind (I think they also stopped at that dumb ass truck stop) and everything was pretty much on schedule.

The place was pretty cool. It was called Jimmy's Place and it was pretty big. Had a lot of pool tables and there was a separate room where the bands played. I got to meet another online friend, Oz, who was cool as hell.

Skip had a full spread of food there that a kilt wearing chef buddy of his did up and was getting us beer! Nice! Gravehill showed and they decided to chow before we unloaded. I just wanted to drink, although I did partake in some of the food later...

Opening bands played and there were not a whole lot of people here. The PA was vocals only...We played and then Gravehill and did our best and had a lot of fun. Skip took care of us pretty good as well. Sunday night in Allentown I guess is not the ideal day for a show. But the people that were there were into it and we all got a lot of compliments. I was also shocked when someone in the crowd yelled out Dogod (my old band that played back in that area in 92 or so) during our set...Abominator also blew out the PA during their last song...That's fucking metal!!


We hung out after the show for awhile and just took our time loading out. We hung at the bar for awhile and I think we were now on the second case that Skip got for us...He got us Yuengling, which I never liked, but I loved them that day...

We load out and decide we are going to get rooms. The next show was in Clifton, NJ, which was only a little over an hour away...We find an awesomely cheap hotel nearby and we party for most of the night...I was Portland loaded, but at least I wasn't playing now...And I finally got a fucking bed...although it didn't do me that good since I passed out on the shitter...

Off to NJ tomorrow but I still have something in the back of my mind that is really bothering me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though Jersey was just an hour away, my head was pounding after that night and I wanted to sleep the day away. Probably Allentown and NYC are the only times I really got loaded. Oh, I guess I can include the last night in Chicago at Scott's as well.

Matt Harvey said...

Pittsburgh and Allentown were rad, because I got to get super toasted two nights in a row... Beautiful thing. Also, thanks for not posting that pic of me sleeping in my underwear on Ed's couch. Nice cliffhanger ending, dude!

Cardiac Tom said...

Yeah, the less travel time between shows, I think the funner we had...

The Scott party will be an entry all in its own...

I got video of you singing in the hotel room in Allentown on my phone Matt...It's rad!