Monday, August 30, 2010

Another Tour Already?? The Backstory...

Well, sort of...It was only four days...I'll get to that in a minute...

I was going to write about Central Illinois Metalfest and our show in Akron, Ohio first, but I wanted to try and write about this most recent jaunt with everything fresh in my mind...

Ok, so a couple months ago, we were asked to be part of the Destroyer 666 and Enthroned US Tour...This was an extensive US tour that lasted nearly a month...Long story short, we were asked to do the whole thing in the beginning, which we accepted...Things kept changing though (as I'm sure it sometimes does) and we ended up on the tail end of the tour. About 2 weeks before the tour would launch (and about a week after we got home from the Gravehill/Hod/Caridac tour), I got a call from John McEntee (Incantation and Ibex Moon Records) asking if we could fill in a chunk of dates for our friends and label mates Estuary who were now unable to do the tour. We looked at every way possible, but there was no way we could have done it, which sucked, but that's what happens sometimes...Besides, the notice was too short and contrary to popular belief, people in bands do have lives and responsibilities...



We would be on the Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, and Montreal dates...Not too shabby, especially since it was three markets we have never played, with two being in another country...Yes, I can say it now...Cardiac Arrest is now an International live band! Yay us!! Only took me a little over 20 years playing death metal to do that...

While I generally never get nervous about this kind of stuff (stressed is more my style) this tour was kind of eating away at me...I was nervous about the whole border thing...None of us have anything to hide or prevent us from going, but in our case, if something can go wrong, it will for us. We have a lot of "pie in the face" moments and this tour could have had the potential for a lot of that...This tour was organized and we would be working with the booking agent and various tour managers, something we have not experienced. Also, I get nervous about bigger bands...How will they treat us? Will we get along? Will we be able to sell stuff at our prices? Will we be able to sell stuff at all? Are we going to get screwed on our guarantee? This is the kind of stuff that rattles around my empty skull...

Things looked to be on the up and up though...The booking agent was cool and kept in contact...things were getting organized and plans were being made...All we had to do is show up and kick ass...

We really put everything into our rehearsals for this tour...I mean, we always do regardless, but I think we were paying real close attention...These would be important shows for us. We would be playing for people who may not have heard us before...Also, several genres would be represented on this tour...Black, War, Technical Brutal Death (Pathology was on this tour as well) and our mix of what we do so there would be different fan bases. How would we go over on this?? Another bout of Tom nervousness...

Some things tour wise were working in our favor though...Everyone would be using the same drum kit...Awesome! Less to lug around and it helps in the set up time. We had a half hour set, so the more time saved, the better...And we were getting decent guarantees...I had the trailer secured, so that was one less thing to worry about...We had some more merch en route as well...Everything was lining up...

But I still had an unsettling feeling about the tour...To be honest, I think I was scared for the first time in my band life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.