Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Ace Frehley Show Review-Chicago-4/1/08

Just want to start this entry out by saying Ace Frehley is the reason I (and I'm sure thousands of others my age) play guitar. I saw Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park on TV when I was about 4 or 5 years old and I was hooked...a couple of years later, my parents started letting me get their albums, and believe me, I would save my allowance and I bought every Kiss album I could, along with other memorabilia (which I wish I still had...comic books, lunch boxes, dolls, posters, garbage can, etc.) I was a fan until they took off their make up and by then, Ace was gone...I did follow him to a point in which I had the first Frehley's Comet album, but my tastes were changing at that time, so I quickly lost interest...

But any rate, he is my biggest influence as a guitar player...and I have always stood behind that.

So, a few months ago, I found out Ace was going to be touring the US...I instantly wanted to go. They announced a Chicago date, and it was to be at House Of Blues...I figured I would have to get a ticket ahead of time, just in case...Rodney from the Chicago Metal Factory to the rescue...by chance, when Cardiac Arrest DJ'ed The Exit, I had asked him if he had any Ace tickets, which he did...Score!!!! Again, Thank You Rodney!!!!

The show was to start at 9pm so I took my time and hung around the house till about quarter to...it was only a short walk and train ride, and I never heard of the opening band, so no harm no foul...I got there and the opening band just finished...I had heard good things about them from some of the people there...but c'mon...who really cares about an opener when Ace is playing??

Ace went on around 10:15 I think...wasn't really looking at my watch...While waiting, ran into Larry from November's Doom and we chatted for awhile. Also ran into Big Bill and Rich, who are always at every show I am at...great supporters of the scene for sure...

So, the big screen goes up and the lights go down...Ace has a real cool intro...cool lasers and a rocket number fire up/spaceship countdown...he then goes into the set...

Rip It Out
Hard Times
Parasite
Snowblind
I Want You (very short version)
Rock Soldiers
Breakout (dedicated to Eric Carr)
Into The Void
Strange Ways
Medley
--Torpedo Girl
--Speedin' Back To My Baby
--Five Card Stud
--Trouble Walkin'
Stranger In A Strange Land
New York Groove
2000 Man (a personal favorite)
Shock Me

Guitar Solo--Ok, at this point, Ace switched to his smoking guitar...but it was not working...he swapped guitars and kept playing, and then swapped back, but it was still not working...the drummer came out and yelled April Fools!! At that point, it starts smoking and Ace did not have it strapped on...It was pretty funny, and I'm not sure if it was a joke or malfunction, but Ace just went with it and laughed it off...Then he says, April Fools...me or on the crowd? Well then, this will be a special one then..and goes into...

Fractured Mirror (another personal favorite)

Ace then closed the normal set with

Rocket Ride

A couple of minutes goes by and they come back out to do the encore set...

Deuce (complete with Kiss shoulder/guitar sway at the end)
Love Her All I Can
Love Gun
Cold Gin
Outro to Black Diamond

Band all leaves, but comes back out and take a bow...

What a show!! Ace played pretty spot on. I mean, no one is perfect, but I did not catch anything out of the ordinary. He seemed very comfortable, had a lot of relaxed quip filled banter, was funny, and told a few little stories about some of the songs...His new band is great too...both the drummer and bassist looked like Nikki Sixx lookalikes though...lol But they both did a lot of singing and sounded great, not to mention very high energy...

This show easily moves up to the Top 3 of the shows I have attended list (and I have been to a lot)and I am still buzzing about it...The only downfall was the beer prices at HOB, but I had a free ticket so I shouldn't complain too much. I combated my need to drink by moving into the crowd towards the front of the stage. I just had to be closer...plus, he was throwing picks out left and right, and I desperately wanted one...not this time though...I did manage to take some pics with my moms cell phone...I need to figure out how to transfer them and see if they even turned out...

It is safe to say that Ace is still my guitar idol...and I will never forget this show as long as I live...I hope he comes back, because I will go in a heart beat...and be in the front row next time!!!

No comments: