Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tour Day 2--You Gotta Lose Your Mind in Detroit Rock City

Or so Paul Stanley so eloquently put it...

So I woke up around 8:30am, still kind of buzzed I think...and the burrito I devoured before going to bed didn't sit right...Oh well...lessons learned...I had to pick up the trailer at 10am...So I packed, shit, showered, and shaved, and headed out the door...

I got there a little late...no biggie...Got stuck with a 5x8 though...I much prefer the 4x8 because with those, I can still see out the back window a bit...Details, details...

I headed over to the practice spot and everyone was waiting for me...Loaded up and hit the road. Well, tried to. Seems like everywhere in our area is under some sort of pain in the ass construction. I think we finally got on the Interstate around noon...

It is roughly a 5 and a half hour drive to Detroit, which should put us there around 5:30...Kind of cutting it close I thought...I speed and the speed limits are a bit higher in Indiana and Michigan, so I thought I would be able to shave some time off...

Oh wait...I forgot about the time change into Eastern...Fuck...Now we would be really cutting it close. As far as I knew, the show was starting at 6pm. Ugh...Maybe the show will get pushed back like the Chicago show did...We could hope...

So, with me being quiet and focusing on the task at hand, I sped across Michigan with only one gas/piss stop...We got to the club, Blondies, and 5:45pm...We made it!!! I guess the Destroyer/Enthroned bus just got there shortly before us, and the Pathology van was nowhere to be seen, so I guess we were doing alright...

Being in a hurry because we still didn't really know what was going on, we quickly unloaded the trailer...But what's this? Members of Destroyer and Enthroned coming out to help...No shit! We got everything in the club and on the elevator in minutes...



We were about to get everything to the stage area, but not before we got to eat...There was a catered meal of chicken, potatoes, and cole slaw!! Awesome...Free food always rules...

So we get everything set up on stage (with more help mind you) and met some of the staff...We sound checked, set up merch, and had a lot of time to relax because the show did get pushed back to around 8:30. Beer time!! Then again, when isn't it beer time for me?

Pathology rolled in as they also forgot about the time change...Glad we weren't the only ones...

The place started getting a bit of a crowd. It was nothing like the Chicago show the night before, but it was respectable...We went on to a great response. More and more people were moving up to the front as we played, which is always a good thing...We get done and felt pretty good...Also sold some more merch after we played, which is another good sign.

Pathology was up next and they killed it. Like I said, not really my thing, but I found myself getting it into it more today. They also threw a song out to us...We'll have to return the favor tomorrow for sure...

Destroyer was up next and again, killed it...What else would you expect? They are a great band and they just took over the place...

Throughout all this time, I was hanging out in back and drinking beers with everyone...getting to know everyone more and just shooting the shit and telling stories...Finally met the tour manager for this leg, Nick, who was super fucking cool.

Enthroned was next and were great as well. I noticed the crowd would thin a bit after Destroyer, which kind of sucks because Enthroned is really good. Maybe people (like myself) were unfamiliar with them since they haven't been to the states in quite a few years...Either way, they slayed...

After quite a few more beers and hanging out, we started to load out...and get this...more help again!! As you can see by all of the mentions of this I make, I am very appreciative with help loading...

Loading got done quick and we were going to head out...Toronto was the next stop and since we never crossed the border before, we figured it would go quicker late at night...Besides, Jim did not get his passport on time, so we thought we would have a tougher time, so may as well get it over with as soon as possible...

No comments: