Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Campaign Begins...

This will be somewhat short because there are a lot of logistical minutia that even I don't care about...Just want to keep up on things while they are somewhat fresh...

So, we get the name for the tour, dates and venues are getting secured, artwork by the ever so awesome Jeff Zornow is completed, vehicles are secured (or so I thought...more on that later), word is being spread all over the interweb, etc. I, along with the rest of Cardiac was feeling really good about things. We about finished the writing process for the 4th Full Length (!!) and now, we had to pick a setlist and just practice the hell out of it...Again, things were moving along...



The next part of the story is something only very few know about...It is really cool, so I wanted to include it...

One day, out of the blue, I get a call from Thorgrimm (Gravehill drummer if you weren't aware) wanting to shoot the shit a bit...We get to talking and he informed me that their last guitarist was no longer in Gravehill...It was an amicable split, but now they were stuck without a second guitarist. I was asked to fill in for the tour, which I reluctantly accepted. Don't read into that reluctantly part too much...It is hard enough playing in one band on a given night, let alone two...especially with how nuts I get on stage...I have done back to back sets with Severed and Cardiac...It is not something I totally enjoy. So anyway, I started learning the Gravehill tunes and the plan was for me to fly out to LA a week before the tour to practice with them...So, what happened??

Matt Harvey (Exhumed/Dekapitator/Repulsion to name a few) happened...and let me tell you, it was for the best. I was on eggshells and really nervous about filling in. I don't think I would have done Gravehill justice if I played with them. It was a relief and a pleasure watching them play every night...They for sure made the right decision...

Ok, not so short I guess...I tend to ramble, hence the title of this blog...Next up will be a major wrench thrown in that would make 95% of the bands out there say "fuck it!" Not us...Good thing or not?

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It still would have been cool to have you as the 2nd guitarist, brotha! I can understand the anxiety though. Playing double duty in both bands for the whole tour would have been an extreme bitch.